This Fall we are focusing much of our mission efforts on Hurricane Relief, Northern California Fire Relief and Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA). We are collecting donations of money and supplies for Gifts of the Heart hygiene and school kits. Stay tuned for news about a future OPC mission trip to help in the affected areas.
Contact us for more information.
Right here, without leaving town, you can help local families--offering them snacks, dinner, a hot shower, a warm safe place to sleep, breakfast, the gift of friendship and a time for prayer.
Whats to get involved:
Contact: Martha Ditchfield
- Join us any Thursday night, December-March, to make snacks, cook and/or serve dinner, and visit with our guests.
- Get a group together and prepare a dinner.
- Sign-up to help with laundry, snacks, and more.
- Provide financial donations, lots of prayer, and socks, socks, socks!!
HELP of Ojai's Community Assistance Program (CAP) and Valley Outreach work to assist the most needy in our Ojai Valley.
Ways to get involved:
Contact: Karen Kaminsky or Todd Goehner
- Each Communion Sunday (1st Sunday of the Month) bring non perishable food items for the food pantry.
- help with other projects as needed
Knit for Kids is a global movement that has donated more than half a million sweaters to needy children all over the world. World Vision has partnered with many leading charitable organizations to clothe needy children here in America and around the world in places like Romania, Turkey, Azerbaijan, and Kosovo to name a few. The joy that Knit for Kids creates for the children who receive these sweaters is immeasurable, as is the joy experienced by caring people who knit them.
Contact: Jane Weirick
- Knit or crochet a Knit for Kids sweater in any color and size you like using the patters provided online at www.knitforkids.org (or pick up a patter in the church office).
- When you've finished, please give you completed sweater to Jane Weirick or place in a collection box on the church patio.
- Donate yarn to support the knitting efforts of others.
Food Share Sunday 1st Sunday of the Month (Communion Sunday) Your continued donations of non-perishable food, toiletries, baby food and diapers are greatly appreciated. Did you know that one filled grocery cart feeds a family of four for a week? Please remember to bring your donations on Communion Sunday (usually the first Sunday of each month), so we can continue to help our neighbors through HELP of Ojai’s Pantry Program.
OPC has been in partnership with Hogar de los Ninos in a colonia near Tijuana for the past eight years. This orphanage not only provides a safe and loving environment for children who have lost their parents, but is also a haven for families who don’t have the means necessary to provide for their children. In partnership with Tony and Pilar Ralphs, founder and directors of the orphanage, we build houses in the local community for those in need. We are housed at the orphanage, and go out into the community daily to build a simple 12’ x 24’ sturdy and reliable home for these families.
Ways to get involved:
- Join one of our two trips to build homes-High School Spring Break in April, or our Family trip, last full week in July
- Buy a Christmas gift for a child at the orphanage and join our Christmas party at the orphanage.
For more information, contact Jeff or Tami Holland.
- Join one of our two trips to build homes-High School Spring Break in April, or our Family trip, last full week in July 2.
A ministry of the Presbytery of Santa Barbara that sends out people from our local churches on short-term mission trips. Teams go to Uganda, Romania, Turkey, Honduras, China, Albania, Haiti, and India to work alongside missionaries with ongoing programs. These trips have helped us to develop long-standing relationships with missionaries such as Nita Hansen in the Ukraine or Ramazan Arkan’s church in Turkey. These relationships are not only valuable to the team, but also to the missionaries receiving the teams, as we uplift, support and serve with them. Trips take place in the summer and winter.
For more details go to www.impact-sbp.org or contact Annell LaBarge.
OPC works together with other Ojai and Ventura churches, the Ventura synagogue, and others to feed over 200 people a hot meal five days a week at the Catholic Charities dining hall on Ventura Avenue in Ventura. A noon dinner is cooked on site and served Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and hot breakfast is served Saturdays and Sundays. OPC works together with Holy Cross Lutheran church to serve dinner every second Friday of the month.
Ways to get involved: Each week we have some faithful, regular volunteers, but need extras to work as substitutes. Please consider adding your name to the substitute list. You are needed!
Contact: Marcia Borgeson Sykes
Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing low-cost housing for needy families. Habitat builds houses throughout the world through the efforts of volunteers and the “sweat equity” of the home recipients. There are projects currently in Ventura County available for volunteers.
Contact: Drew West